"Story Lady"

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

"Methuselah Ate What He Found on His Plate"

Methuselah ate what he found on his plate,
And never, as people do now,
Did he note the amount of the calorie count;
He ate it because it was chow.
He wasn't disturbed as at dinner he sat,
Devouring a roast or a pie,
To think it was lacking in granular fat
Or a couple of vitamins shy.
He cheerfully chewed each species of food,
Unmindful of troubles or fears
Lest his health might be hurt
By some fancy dessert;
And he lived over nine hundred years.


-- Rex Eae Hrusoff, 
Cook, United States Marine Corps Served in the trenches in WWI



4 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I just read this poem in one of my cookbooks!

Lynn said...

Yes me too I'd seen this in one of my old cook books and then as now I was tickled by the fact Mr Hrusoff was a cook, a marine and in the World War One...Happy Thanksgiving xxoo

Mina said...

I LOVE this poem, and couldn't agree more. I hope you had a wonderful holiday sweetie. Hugs, Mina

luiznoia said...

Rex E Hrusoff served as a Marine at Mare Island, California as Rex E Herf.

He enlisted 19 Sep 1916 in Denver , Colorado. His first year was as a messman, and he was later a supply depot worker, a messenger, and sent to electricians school. When he discharged in Sep 1920 he had spent his entire service at Mare Island.

After discharge, he served as a Boy Scout scoutmaster through his American Legion post at Napa , California, and he authored a three act play that was very popular in the late 1920s in Scouting circles