"Story Lady"

Monday, April 01, 2013

Aspergillum

have you ever gone to a service and gotten "splashed?"
Was it a surprise?
I suppose i had experienced this as a child and not paid attention.
The first time I noticed, it was exciting because the officiants dipped a pine branch into water 
then waved the branch over the crowd
and everyone smelled the promise of evergreen
and felt the promise of dew
it was Brilliant!

Later i learned that was a one time inspiration, not what people expect in a blessing.
Too bad for me.
I learned that an Aspergillum is generally thought of as a man-made gadget -
that can hold a bit of water - and has holes in it so the water
(possibly "holy water")
can be "sprinkled" over the congregation.
Here's a cool concept:

Here's a definition : a brush or small perforated container with a handle that is used for sprinkling holy water in a liturgical service -

The thing is, I miss the mountains.
I miss walking in the forest,
hearing the sounds of nature
I would think it the Holiest of Blessing
to walk beneath a Redwood
after the rain
and, looking up, feel the drops upon my face

While sharing with you
i have decided
the idea of an Aspergillum
is humanity remembering God
and asking The Holy One
to cover us in Blessing
of 
Love, Joy, Inspiration, Harmony
In the Aleph (The Hebrew "A")
of No Sound at all
Of Breath of Life
that leads to Everything
and
Takes us Home.





4 comments:

Natasha said...

I love the idea of water smelling of evergreen pines being sprinkled over me- something so divine about it.
Thank you for stopping by, and for introducing me to such a beautiful word.

Janice said...

I didn't know the word either! You painted great images and feelings with the words! Stopping by from A to Z

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Standing in a redwood forest with mist falling upon my face. I agree, it is the Holiest of Blessing.

Anna Tan said...

Woah.. Never seen that done before :)

anna
Deeply Shallow