"Story Lady"

Monday, January 31, 2011

Our Scholar In Residence - Rami Shapiro

The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others.
            -- Hasidic Saying

We had a treat this week.  Our scholar in residence was R. Rami Shapiro.  He is one of my favorite teachers.   He speaks Truth in a unique and cheeky manner.  So, there are a few folk, perhaps traditionalists, who are discomforted by his expression.  I suppose i run to the cheeky as well - NOT that I'm in any way his caliber of teacher, just that I giggle, and rejoice in the e-x-p-a-n-d-e-d thought he'll offer.


He has many books, teaches comparative religion at Vanderbilt University, speaks all over the place (yep - he is about as interfaith as a Rabbi could ever be - one of my old teachers would call it "ecumenical" - But, i rather think Rami is over the top - in love with the Holy.)


He has a blog called "Beyond Religion." 


He writes for magazines, he stirs things up.

I hope he's as confident as he seems - He certainly inspires me.



2 comments:

Buttercup said...

What a tremendous treat. I've read some of his books, but would know I would get a lot out of hearing him speak. Thanks for the link to his blog. I'm now a follower.

TheNote said...

Buttercup!!! I am thrilled to have something of super value to share with you. (You give so much to all of us.)
Love & Love,
-g-