"Story Lady"

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I'm supposed to be working - but . . .

this is just too fun. See, I asked the dog, (Osa Magillicutty Happy Pants,) if she would consider taking me for a stroll - maybe just around the block. the weather is really nice and I could use a little moving around. So, Ms. Osa said "yes" and we were on our way. Before we got to the first corner a really large maroon van came from the alley, stopped and then slowly pulled onto our street. The thing is, they were moving so slow i could see the people inside clearly.

Now, if I were home (I'm from the western states, a performing arts family) I wouldn't think a thing of it . . but, I'm NOT home. This is Kirkwood, Missouri. (Need I say more???) This van was positively packed with people who looked as if they'd arrived, from all over the world, in the 1950's.


Honest.

There was a gentleman with a large handlebar mustache, there were several faces that looked Asian, there were men and ladies who looked as if they'd stepped out of a casting director's office, looking for a role on Leave It To Beaver. It was too amazing.

So - if I WERE home (we've already discussed that) - I would simply think it was a circus family - OR - people taking extra training in circus arts. Here - none of that would be happening.

Whatever - I finally rally and continue walking. By the time we get around the block, I see the van - empty, parked on the wrong side of the road - facing the wrong way (okay, they must not know our neighborhood, or the driving rules for U.S.A. - what's new about that, right???)

A-Ha!!!! Then I begin to spot them. Two by two they are paired, going door to door, knocking and engaging people in conversations when possible.

Definitely not Mormon - must be Witnesses.

Case Closed - but . . it was fun - trying to sort out the circus people.

I kept trying to decide how i would explain it, if i had to . . . now I don't HAVE to - but, still - I've decided to share it with you.

Okay, okay - I'll get back to work.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Happy 2009 to you my friend!

Carol