"Story Lady"

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Peaches


Everything is early today.
It's the first day of school for my roommate and he has an early class.
We rode together into town, the way we generally do, except at an earlier hour.
I returned most of my library books.
I couldn't go in, of course, it wouldn't open for an hour.
So, I caught a bus home.
Well, I had another adventure along the way, but that's another story.


As I was getting off the bus to walk the rest of the way home.
Suddenly, I wanted peaches.
Well, no, not exactly WANTED them.
Rather, I strongly remembered peaches.


The last time I noticed attractive ones was at the Farmers Market in town but that was over two weeks ago. Why in the heck was my sense memory kicking in - AND - why now, when I was home and not a half hour before when I was standing a half block away from the Farmers Market and could easily have brought a few home?


(Although even now I'm not sure i wanted one for myself.)




I thought about the fuzzy feel and the rich, distinctive smell
then I remembered Alain Donnell.
He purchased a brown bag full of peaches and strolled along the sandy beach in the
Sunset District of San Francisco.


He'd eat one after the next, juice running down his chin, bright blue eyes sparkling as if this is what a Gaelic Lad does every day of his life.
When he'd finish one he'd throw it towards the surf, wipe his chin with the back of his hand a reach for another until the bag was empty.
How many did he consume?
A dozen, do you think?
I wonder now if he felt okay afterwards.
I wonder if he feels okay today.


I'm remembering Peaches.


No comments: