Tuesday, November 05, 2013

From Our Friend, James Stone Goodman:

On the fourth day I began to ask for forgiveness. I sank into silence and an animal I cannot identify (it had somewhat elaborate horns) wandered by and nibbled from a loaf of bread I carried with me. I spread a piece of bread with peanut butter, Jif smooth, and the animal signaled to me in some abstract, trans-species way its approval.

Then the animal spoke. It's about forgiveness, isn't it -- the animal said. 
Yes, it's about forgiveness.

Give me your burdens, the animal said, I am a load-bearing animal, I am a yoked animal, I submit to the yoke of your burdens and I carry them gladly into the Wilderness.

So I took my burdens -- my self consciousness, my separation, my isolation, my flight, fear, especially my fear -- everything that separates me from G*d and all I love the most, and I laid them on the shoulders of the animal. On the back of this beautiful yoked beast I gave up my fear, and I watched as the animal disappeared into the hills.

I lifted up my hands and said, to the trees, to the sky, to the stones, to the dirt, to the dirt especially, to the mud:

Is this the way it works?
From a distance I heard,
Yes, this is precisely the way it works.

jsg.usa


3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

a beautiful, freeing, hopeful moment shared.

Beth @ E. Lizard Breath Speaks said...

i am curious... will this go n a book or just 4 u & ur bloggy friends 2 enjoy? ( :

Maggid said...

Hiya! he seems to believe no one would publish his stuff. BUT, currently he is part of a larger project - which includes musicians and dreamers - he is happy and inspired. With his permission I grab some of his stuff on occasion to share with you . . . it's possible the majority of his work is meant for our hearts alone - those of us who read - and are lifted. The newer project may be distributed to a wider, more varied audience . . . who knows? He is a treasure to everyone fortunate enough to come in contact with him. Thank you for asking. love & love to you.