Thursday, April 25, 2013

Vellum

A couple of years ago i purchased a book of drawing exercises.  They were fun.  There was a list of suggested supplies I did not take seriously because I already have so much stuff to play with.  BUT, after a while i started to wonder about "Vellum."  I did not know what it was.  The next time i was in an art supply store there was a stack of artist journals and on the front of one it said the word . . Vellum - SO, I picked it up and felt the paper - it was strong and felt different from the large collection of papers i already had at home.

I didn't give it another thought until it was time for "V" in our A to Z challenge.

"V" . . the first thought i had was Vellum - I only knew it was strong and smooth - SO I looked it up and was appalled.

I KNEW ancient manuscripts were hand copied on animal skin - BUT, please don't tell me I'd encouraged anyone to continue that practice  - by purchasing a notebook (cheaply, i might add.)


Fortunately the online information went on to explain that practice  with very rare (and Holy exceptions) has gone away and has been replaced by linen - and paper - with qualities of vellum . . My heart was saved - and NOW I know (and respect) one of my art supplies.


"whew"

-g-

14 comments:

Nina Gray said...

Vellum! hmmm now this is something I have never heard before! Thanks for sharing!

Me said...

That was a new information. Thanks for sharing. :)

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Very interesting! One of my secret longings is to be an artist--unfortunately I have absolutely no talent. So...I sometimes do what I call "scribble art" particularly when I'm on retreat. And--believe it or not--I recent bought some coloring books. Find it very relaxing and I can make things whatever color I want without having anyone say--But__ are never that color"!

Jolie du Pre said...

Very interesting post! (Also, thanks for stopping by my V post today. I had to remove the blog post because Blogger was acting up on me. I then reposted my V post after I fixed the situation. Your comment was lost with the original V post, but thank you, again, for stopping by my blog!)

Ornery's Wife said...

When I was scrabooking regularly, one of the supplies that I had a class and a book on was working with vellum. It is a fun medium, but rather complicated to use as it is so clear that adhesion is tricky to keep hidden. Eventually I gave up on it, but there are many different styles and thicknesses of vellum. Great V word!
tm

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Vellum is fun and so soft.

Francene Stanley said...

I've never felt vellum. Don't feel bad about owning it. Animals die as a natural course of events.

JoJo said...

I've used vellum paper but it's like a clearish/cloudy paper, not animal skin. I've had to buy special vellum tape that doesn't show too bad thru the paper.

Jen Forbes said...

Animal skin, yuck. Glad that practice was changed I'd say that was a relief!

Mary said...

Gosh, i'd have been equally heartbroken.. and in the end thank goodness.. equally relieved. :)

Wendy said...

In scrapbooking, vellum is often thin and see-thru. But when I took an art course, I remember vellum as being heavy, more like the picture on your blog.

Repaying the visit from AtoZ.

Ghadeer said...

Oops, I can imagine the mini-heart attack before you were reassured.

Bhav.Zz said...

Never heard of this one before. Thanks for sharing the info :)

Crystal Collier said...

Yeah... Well you know, before we had all these fancy machines that can duplicate synthetics for the real thing...

LOL.