Saturday, September 15, 2012

From James Stone Goodman:

Here I am Hineni
An interactive prayer for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur Musaf

Here I am
planted in front of You and in front of my
fellow conspirators in prayer,
to pray for myself
and on behalf of my community,

Some of the people here I know –
I love them.

Some of the people here I don’t know –
I love them too.

Remind me to empty myself
of all that separates me from You
and from everything I love the most –
I am a vessel, an instrument of your will.
Play me like a harp a flute an oud.

Help me to empty myself –
to be a vessel, an instrument.

Help me to empty myself of that combative Detroit
“get out of my face” or I’ll wipe the floor with you attitude
[substitute here your own obstacles
and when you do,
take a moment to name them:
what is it that separates you from God
and all you love the most?]

As for me,
let me love as purely and as wholly as
I want to and as I know I can.

May our prayers
our actions
our lives
be rescued from the externals.

Let all our prayers rise
uninterrupted like doves
straight to heaven,
let us be guided to
the sacred heart of the world,

Let us never lose our yearning for
peace, depth, and beauty,
let us honor our fathers and mothers,
our grandfathers and grandmothers
all our holy ancestors
who rest at the foot of the
Throne of Glory,

With our prayers
our actions
our songs
today and all days,

Let us remember that nothing
Nothing in God’s creation is ever lost.

Bless us,
O God
The One God
The unclaimed God,

Bless us.
Amen.

jsg, usa

No comments: